RNIB offer two courses for companies:
1) Visual Awareness Training
2) Pan Disability Awareness training
We are happy to travel to your company's location (within the UK). The course can be tailored to your company's specific requirements. The standard duration for the course is half a day, but this can also be adjusted to suit your needs.
1) Visual Awareness Training
Over two million people in the UK are currently living with sight loss – any number of them could be your customers, employees or family or friends. How can you best engage and communicate with them and meet their day to day needs? Our Visual Awareness training course will give you the answers.
We will provide you with an understanding of what it means to live with sight loss and various types of sight conditions, the etiquette used to avoid offence and discrimination, along with the promotion of good customer service and effective engagement and interaction between people.
Our sessions are highly interactive, making use of quizzes, DVDs and thought-provoking exercises. Participants will learn how to recognise, assess and minimise the barriers that people with a sight condition or sight loss face in their daily lives.
- A brief history of segregation and disability
- An overview of legislation
- An understanding of the medical and social models of disability
- Simulation exercises providing an appreciation of issues associated with disability
- Understanding the barriers that people with disabilities face when accessing information and services
- How to avoid discriminatory behaviour and terminology
- How to improve engagement and interaction with people with disabilities
2) Pan Disability Awareness
This course will aid participants in gaining an awareness and appreciation of various types of disability etiquette used to avoid offence and discrimination, along with the promotion of good customer service and effective engagement and interaction between people. Our sessions are highly interactive, making use of quizzes, DVDs and thought-provoking exercises. Participants will learn how to recognise, assess and minimise the barriers that people with a disability face in their daily lives.
- Common eye conditions and how they affect people
- The emotional impact of sight loss
- How to safely guide a person with sight loss
- Appropriate language and effective communication
- Reasonable adjustments in compliance with the Equality Act 2010
- How the built environment can enable or disable people
Who should attend?
Both our Visual Awareness and Pan Disability training courses are suitable for customer-facing staff, management teams, or anyone who may come into contact with people who have sight conditions or sight loss.
If you are asking yourself the following questions, our courses are for you:
- What is the best way to support disabled people?
- Might certain language cause offence?
- How do I guide someone with sight loss?
- How can I ensure that my business is accessible for disabled people?
- What adjustments do I need to make to ensure that my staff and customers can engage with or access my business?
RNIB also offers courses for individuals who want to develop a greater understanding of sight loss and other disabilities. This course is open to delegates from companies that wish to only send specific employees to the course, rather than offer the training to a wider section of their staff.