RNIB offer two courses for external clients:
1) Visual Awareness Training
2) Pan Disability Awareness training
Each course costs £49 per delegate and lasts for three hours. The courses run at our Judd Street office in London's King's Cross.
1) Visual Awareness Training
Over two million people in the UK are currently living with sight loss – any number of them could be your customers, employees or family or friends. How can you best engage and communicate with them and meet their day to day needs? Our Visual Awareness training course will give you the answers.
We will provide you with an understanding of what it means to live with sight loss and various types of sight conditions, the etiquette used to avoid offence and discrimination, along with the promotion of good customer service and effective engagement and interaction between people.
Our sessions are highly interactive, making use of quizzes, DVDs and thought-provoking exercises. Participants will learn how to recognise, assess and minimise the barriers that people with a sight condition or sight loss face in their daily lives.
- A brief history of segregation and disability
- An overview of legislation
- An understanding of the medical and social models of disability
- Simulation exercises providing an appreciation of issues associated with disability
- Understanding the barriers that people with disabilities face when accessing information and services
- How to avoid discriminatory behaviour and terminology
- How to improve engagement and interaction with people with disabilities
2) Pan Disability Awareness
This course will aid participants in gaining an awareness and appreciation of various types of disability etiquette used to avoid offence and discrimination, along with the promotion of good customer service and effective engagement and interaction between people. Our sessions are highly interactive, making use of quizzes, DVDs and thought-provoking exercises. Participants will learn how to recognise, assess and minimise the barriers that people with a disability face in their daily lives.
- Common eye conditions and how they affect people
- The emotional impact of sight loss
- How to safely guide a person with sight loss
- Appropriate language and effective communication
- Reasonable adjustments in compliance with the Equality Act 2010
- How the built environment can enable or disable people
Who should attend?
Both our Visual Awareness and Pan Disability training courses are suitable for customer-facing staff, management teams, or anyone who may come into contact with people who have sight conditions or sight loss.
Our courses are also suitable for any individuals who want to learn about supporting or rehabilitating people with sight conditions or sight loss to improve their knowledge of the subject independent of a corporate environment.
If you are asking yourself the following questions, our courses are for you:
- What is the best way to support disabled people?
- Might certain language cause offence?
- How do I guide someone with sight loss?
- How can I ensure that my business is accessible for disabled people?
- What adjustments do I need to make to ensure that my staff and customers can engage with or access my business?
1. Visual Awareness
15 March 2017
10 April 2017
17 May 2017
23 June 2017
24 July 2017
29 Aug 2017
2. Pan Disability Awareness
1 March 2017
4 April 2017
8 May 2017
16 June 2017
18 July 2017
For further details or to book your place please call 07801 406 013 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
RNIB also offer training courses tailored to the specific requirements of companies that wish to improve their employees' understanding of sight loss and other disabilities.